Sunday, May 15, 2011

The SoundCloud Formula

As most of you return readers know, I have been working on figuring out a way to get visitors to my site from SoundCloud. I've been working with low numbers of actions using webDOMinator friend adder and some customizations I made in it, to achieve this result.

Each website has a formula of actions that are necessary in order to get visitors from that site to your site. This formula consists of the target, content, message, and call to action which are chosen. The details of your target market, the content of your profile, the message that you portray, and the way that you make your call to action all depend on the community that you're dealing with. Each social network is it's own community. I believe I have now cracked the SoundCloud formula on how to get a large number of visits to any music based website. This blog entry is an attempt to cover so far what was needed to do this.

To Summarize what I did:

Target: Since my music is a mix of electronica I could say all people who like electronic music, but I wanted to focus on a specific niche in soundcloud specifically which was the dubstep fans and other dubstep artists. This allows me to easily craft my message so that it calls to everyone who I'm targeting.

Content: A small selection of my own original music. The profile description, and the song descriptions and tags were all set up and targeted toward my chosen target market (dubstep fans)

Message: Because of my target market and because of the site, my message is based on artists and based on the way soundcloud works. I used the SuperFollow custom action which will comment on other artist's tracks. In the comment I give them a compliment on the music. I know, as an artist, that I love getting compliments. It fills me with the want to create more music.

Call to action: I drop my link and ask them to check out my stuff too. This comment can be seen by anyone, thus giving my link better exposure than if I was to simply send a message to this person. This uses the idea that giving a compliment and then dropping my own link and asking them to check out my music (from an artist to artist point of view), will have them more inclined to click on my link because artists love compliments and because there's a natural sort of mutuality effect that happens in human psychology.

As for how I did all this, I just ran SuperFollow on 1,000 ID's at the beginning of the day. I then run the new "Mutualize" custom action I made that allows me to unfollow all that are not following me mutually. Yesterday, I also ran a new custom action I added called "Share to Followers" which shares my latest track with everyone who's following me.

The Results

The resulting visits to my site so far from the last two days is way above what any other method I've tried has gotten me:

A total of 49 hits in the last two days just from soundcloud. Each day I've had 2 or more downloads, thus causing the viral aspect of the site to kick into gear and asking the user to share the track link on a social network in order to get the download. It's either that, or they give me their email address. I've now got 21 email addresses that my site can automatically send new tracks to.

Quite a few plays: my soundcloud stats show 98 plays / 15 comments / 4 favoritings this week, and that counter reset this morning at 12:00am Soundcloud time. In total I'm now over 3,000 plays on soundcloud. I also have over 600 followers from that site.

My site stats show 86 plays yesterday with 15 full plays and 2 downloads. The two downloads were also tracks that were up on my SoundCloud account so I'm quite sure that these two downloads were from people who listened and would have converted to a download on soundcloud, but instead I got that download juice for myself and thus caused the link to those songs to be spread more to other people who will possibly like it.

Google Shows this for soundcloud referrals:



It's been a good couple of days on soundcloud.

10 comments:

  1. Note: The average time on the site in the chart above is 0 because there's only one actual page on the site so google analytics cannot see when people listen to new songs or interact with the site since everything happens on that first page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a project like this on SoundCloud, could send me an email so we can exchange more information? My email: brpiemonte@hotmail.com
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathan, I know this is a really old blog, but I've been trying to use your mutualize script and I'm not sure I'm using it right. If you get this, send me an email at kyle@kyleshevlin.com I'd appreciate it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking at some of your posts on buy soundcloud follow this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up .There is currently quite a lot of information around this subject on the net and some are most definitely better than others. You have caught the detail here just right which makes for a refreshing change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please put together a tutorial on how the heck to use webdominator? I have no clue how to do it? pittsburghkid3@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Neighborhood Formula is a new project of 4 musicians who all incidentally live within 5-10 minutes of each other. soundcloud followers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site accidentally, and I am stunned why this accident didn't came about earlier! I bookmarked it.
    buy soundcloud plays

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not one for faking track plays, but I fake reposts, likes and comments all day. I use this site for it Shop SoundCloud Services Keep your track plays legit though

    ReplyDelete